Marinda Close1814 - 1895 (81 years)
Zoah Church and Cemetery, Scott Co., IN
Church/ Cemetery photo of Zoah Church in Zoah, Scott Co., IN, was taken in the 1890's by Benjamin Harrison Coatney. The photo was restored by Denise Libby of California. Photo came from the Don Coatney Archives. See also Don Coatney's Coatney Collection at http://www.rootsweb.com/~inscott/CoatneyPhotos.html Many of the photos in the Archives and in the Collection were taken by Benjamin Harrison Coatney (1865-1925), Don Coatney's grandfather who was a professional photographer in Perla, AR, and Indianapolis, IN. Information contained in the Archives from Cindy Howser: Zoah, located about three miles northwest of Scottsburg was a comparatively new settlement in the county. In 1836, Warren Meranda (1807-1847), Clark Reynolds (1801-1863) and Martin Comer bought land where the church and cemetery now are located. Some time between 1837 and 1842 a log school was built on the knoll overlooking Ox Valley to the west. The present day church is very prosperous and the cemetery is actively in use. The church was built in 1889, and remodeled and added to in 1943-44. (from 1990 cemetery book). Many Coatneys and Spurgeons are buried in Zoah Cemetery including Benjamin Harrison Coatney (1865-1925); Hester Magnolia "Hattie" Morgan Coatney (1866-1937); Charles Augustus "Gus" Coatney (1887-1913); George Francis Coatney (1900-1922); George Washington Coatney (1831-1871); Arminda Bernard Spurgeon Coatney (1839-1924); Gracie Ethel Coatney (1884-1902); Thomas Jefferson Coatney (1857-1934); Zephaniah Spurgeon (1806-1877); & Marinda Close Spurgeon.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding v. 14.0, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2023.
Maintained by Donna Clark.